Bachelor of Science in Health Science
Description and Outcomes
The Bachelor of Science in Health Science program focuses on building content knowledge and skills in the broad areas of health science and health care. Coursework highlights foundational knowledge and skills as well as overall concepts, values, research methods, and applications that could prepare you to pursue a career in health care or health science. Courses teach you to apply principles of healthy living to the education of individuals and communities, and focus on foundational knowledge and skills upon which to build additional competencies. The program also encourages the development of administrative, ethical, and professional skills that are relevant to leadership positions in the increasingly diverse health care field.
The Bachelor of Science in Health Science program is designed to prepare you to pursue a variety of career opportunities in health care and health science-related industries. Additionally, it provides you with a solid undergraduate foundation to pursue further graduate study and/or professional degrees.
Accelerated Master's Degree Options
If you are interested in earning both a bachelor's and master's degree in the health sciences, consider an accelerated master's degree option. Refer to the general Progression Requirements section for details.
The Bachelor of Science in Health Science program consists of a minimum of 180 quarter credit hours. Upon successful completion of the program, you will be awarded a bachelor of science degree.
- Knowledge Base: Demonstrate sound foundational knowledge and an understanding of the principles of biology, chemistry, human anatomy, physiology, and disease processes as they relate to health outcomes.
- Research Methods and Critical Thinking Skills: Demonstrate competency in medical research and inquiry using scientific methods and laboratory skills for critical thinking and problem solving in health care settings.
- Interdisciplinary Integration: Apply principles of healthy living at the individual and community level to protect and promote optimal physical and mental health.
- Public Health and Education: Integrate basic knowledge of the core disciplines within public health and deliver educational programs that promote public health.
- Health Care Administration: Demonstrate an understanding of the forces impacting health delivery systems and the effective management of health care administration.
- Ethics and Professionalism: Employ the professional, ethical, and legal standards of health care practice and interdisciplinary collaboration through leadership and community stewardship.
General Education Literacies and Professional Competencies
In addition to the discipline-specific outcomes, general education literacies and professional competencies are integrated throughout your academic program. You can review the general education literacies and professional competencies associated with your academic program in the undergraduate School of General Education section of this Catalog.
|CM107||College Composition I||5|
|CM220||College Composition II||5|
|Mathematics (select one of the following):||5|
|Survey of Mathematics|
|Arts and Humanities (select one of the following):||5|
|Arts and Humanities - Modern Creative Expressions|
|Humanities and Culture|
|Science (select one of the following):||5|
|Discovering Science - Current Issues in a Changing World|
|General Biology I - Human Perspectives|
|Fundamentals of Microbiology|
|Fundamentals of Science|
|Social Science (select one of the following):||5|
|The 1960s - Reshaping the American Dream|
|People, Power, and Politics - An Introduction to American Government|
|The Technological Revolution - A Social Scientific Approach|
|Total Core Requirements||33|
|HS305||Research Methods for Health Sciences||6|
|HS311||Epidemiology and Biostatistics I||6|
|HS312||Epidemiology and Biostatistics II||6|
|HS315||Practices in Public Health||6|
|HS420||Advanced Health Informatics||6|
|100/200/300/400 Level||Major Electives||12|
|HS499||Bachelor's Capstone in Health Science||6|
|Total Major Requirements||60|
|Open Elective Requirements|
|Open Electives 1||87|
|Total Open Elective Requirements||87|
Eligible students who choose to complete the accelerated master's degree option will take up to five graduate-level courses in addition to selected undergraduate electives.