Academic Information

The below policies apply to students enrolled in terms starting after March 22, 2017. All other students should refer to Prior Concord Policies and Courses.

Academic Calendar

Review the Concord Law School Academic Calendar for important dates, including term start and end dates, withdrawal deadlines, and official school holidays.

Concord records its courses in semester credit hours.


Attendance is defined as posting to a discussion board, virtual office, or drop box, attending a seminar, or participating in a quiz or other classroom activity.

You are encouraged to attend class every day and to be on time for scheduled meetings. It is your responsibility to learn the material covered while absent and to see that you make up missed work in compliance with Concord's guidelines. Hours of makeup work cannot be accepted as hours of class attendance, and makeup work is not permitted for the purpose of receiving veterans' educational training benefits.

Refer to the Withdrawal policy for information about withdrawal due to nonattendance.

Leave of Absence

If you have completed at least one term of your degree program at Concord Law School and can demonstrate
extenuating circumstances beyond your control, you may request a leave of absence. A leave generally permits you to suspend studies and return to the version of the program that you left.

You must complete and sign a Leave of Absence Request Form and submit it through Education Advising for approval. As appropriate, provide documentation to support your request. If you are seeking a leave of absence in the middle of a term, there may be impacts to your funding; therefore, you should speak with Financial Aid prior to submitting the leave request.

You may request up to one period of leave per calendar year. A leave may be no less than nine weeks to no more than one term in duration, though your return date will be dependent on course and term scheduling and availability.

If you request and receive approval for a leave of absence effective before the completion of a term, you will receive a "W" for each attended course at the start of the leave. You are strongly encouraged to register for those courses again in your returning term. If you are enrolled in the Juris Doctor program, taking a midterm leave of absence would disqualify your current half-year of law study. Please see Requirements for a Qualifying Half-Year of Study for more information.

If you are an active-duty servicemember, in the National Guard or Reserves, or are a military family member, you may take a military leave of absence for a period of up to 12 months. You may also have the option to renew this status one time for up to a total of 24 months of leave; however, if you exercise this option, you will return to the version of the degree program in effect at the time of your return.

If you do not return to class by the scheduled date and later choose to return to Concord Law School, you will need to return to the current version of the program. You are not eligible for financial aid while on leave. Please note that your lender entitles you to a 6-month grace period before entering repayment on your student loans. If you have already exhausted your student loan grace period, you will enter loan repayment immediately.


Add/Drop Policy for Courses

After the term begins, you will have a 7-day add/drop period in which to add or drop courses without penalties.

Withdrawal from individual courses after the add/drop period is at the discretion of Concord and may be subject to conditions. Withdrawal after the start of the term is, in general, reflected with a "W" for course grades on the transcript. Course withdrawals are not permitted in the last 60 days of the term.

If you are enrolled in the JD program, you are responsible for ensuring that you are carrying sufficient credit hours for a qualifying half-year of law study, as required by the State Bar of California.

Requesting to Withdraw from the University

Circumstances sometimes require that you withdraw from the School. If your situation warrants withdrawal, please first refer to the Refund Policy and then follow the steps below:

  1. Meet with an Education Advisor via telephone or electronically to discuss your decision to withdraw. We will seek to make reasonable efforts to assist you in continuing your education.
  2. Once you have officially notified your advisor of your intent to withdraw, you should meet with a representative of the Financial Aid Office only if you intend to withdraw in the middle of a term. The Financial Aid Office can answer questions regarding financial obligations to the School and student loan repayment responsibilities. Refer to the Refund Policy for specific calculation information.
  3. If you are using veterans benefits and withdraw from the School, a notice of termination of enrollment will be sent to Veterans Affairs.
  4. A request to withdraw from the School during the final 60 days of a term will be treated as an end-of-term withdrawal request and will be processed after grades have been posted for that term.

If you withdraw from the School and wish to return, you must apply for readmission and enroll in a term that begins a minimum of 6 months from the date of withdrawal.

(See Application for Readmission in the Admissions section.)

Withdrawal Due to Nonattendance

Attendance has important effects on your enrollment status at the School:

  • If you are a first-term or returning student and do not log attendance in any of your classes within the add/drop period, your enrollment will be cancelled.
  • If you do not log attendance in any of your classes for 21 consecutive calendar days (excluding scheduled breaks), you will be administratively withdrawn from your program.
  • If you are withdrawn due to nonattendance, grades of “W” will be posted for your courses, except when the period of nonattendance occurs in the last 60 days of the term when "F" grades will be posted.

If you are withdrawn due to nonattendance, you must apply for readmission following the Application for Readmission procedures for Concord. If you feel an error has been made in your attendance calculation, you may appeal to the Associate Dean by filing a petition.

Transfer Credit

Transfer Credit for Prior Law Studies

You must complete at least one-half of the program requirements at Concord to qualify for the degree. No credit is offered for experiential learning (work experience).

JD Students

All credit transfers will be made in compliance with the requirements of Title IV, Division 1 of the Rules of the State Bar of California (Admission Rules), Rule 4.31, and Guidelines for Unaccredited Law Schools Rule 5.35. Transfer credit will be considered only for courses taken in a JD program at a school that is: (a) ABA approved; (b) accredited by the State Bar of California; or (c) registered with the State Bar of California. Law courses taken in a non-JD program, such as a master’s degree program, or in a JD program at a school that does not meet (a), (b), or (c) cannot be considered.

If you completed study at a law school described above, you must have your legal study evaluated and certified by the Committee of Bar Examiners prior to Concord’s acceptance and application of those credits into its JD program. If you completed law study outside of the United States, it is recommended that you obtain an evaluation of your law studies by the Committee of Bar Examiners.

EJD Students

In addition to law school courses that may qualify for transfer credit for the JD program, transfer credit may also be considered for courses taken in a JD program at a state-approved law school whose graduates may sit for the bar exam in that state. Transfer credit will be granted at the discretion and determination of the Associate Dean.

If you completed preapproved Kaplan University courses while a Kaplan University student or have completed similar courses in graduate programs, you may petition for transfer credit for these previously completed courses after the completion of your first year of study.

Transfer Credit for Concurrent Outside Law School Courses

You may make arrangements to take elective courses at other appropriately accredited law schools. If you wish to receive credit for an external course you must petition for approval from the Associate Dean prior to taking the course. The petition should include a statement of your academic credentials, a course description (usually available in the School Catalog), syllabus (if available), and dates the course begins and ends.

Requirements for Acceptance of Credit into JD Program

  1. Prior approval from Concord is obtained.
  2. The course is offered through a JD program at an appropriately accredited school.
  3. The education must meet all requirements to be considered qualifying legal education under the rules of the State Bar of California.
  4. The entire course must start and end within your Concord Law School term.
  5. You are responsible for ensuring that you are admitted to the external JD program, enroll and complete the course in a manner that will meet the State Bar of California requirements, and maintain the appropriate course load at Concord to earn a qualifying year of legal education.
  6. If you enroll in excess credit hours in a single year, you must still receive passing grades in at least 10 semester credit hours per term at Concord to receive credit for that half year from the State Bar of California.

Requirements for Acceptance of Credit into EJD Program

  1. Prior approval from Concord is obtained.
  2. The course is offered through an appropriately accredited school in a law or graduate program.
  3. The course is appropriate for the EJD program.
  4. You are responsible for ensuring that you are admitted to the external program, enroll and complete the course, and maintain the appropriate course load at Concord.

At the conclusion of the course, you must provide Concord with an official transcript indicating course grades before credit can be awarded.

Transfer of Concord Credits to Other Schools

If you wish to continue your education at other schools, you must not assume that credits earned at Concord Law School of Kaplan University will be accepted by the receiving institution. It is your responsibility to acquaint yourself with the requirements of the selected school and the requirements of that state's licensing, certification board, and accrediting body. Institutions of higher education vary in nature and number of credits they will accept toward any program. It is at the sole discretion of that receiving institution to accept credits earned at Concord Law School at Kaplan University. This is standard transfer of credit procedure. Neither Concord Law School nor Kaplan University can guarantee the transferability of any credits to other institutions.

Program Changes

Transfer to EJD Program

As a JD student in good academic and financial standing, you may transfer to the EJD program prior to the completion of your third year of study. If you are on academic probation or are subject to disqualification from the JD program, you may petition to transfer to the EJD program.

After transferring out of the JD program into the EJD program, you may not transfer back into nor be readmitted into the JD program.

If you were previously enrolled in a JD program, but are now beginning a new term of study in the EJD program, satisfactory academic progress for the previously completed term is defined according to the JD program's specifications. Satisfactory academic progress for all subsequent terms will be defined according to the EJD program's specifications.

Transfer to JD Program

EJD students may not transfer to the JD program; however, if you have not yet completed your first term of study, you may withdraw and apply for readmission to Concord in the JD program. If you have completed your first term and withdraw, you may not be readmitted into the JD program.